Bureaucracy | Moving to Copenhagen, Denmark

Bureaucracy (if staying in Denmark for more than 3 months)

  • If you come from a non-EU country, you will have to get a residence permit. (You can find more information here)
    You won’t need any residence permit if you come from one of the Nordics (Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Finland)
    If, instead, you come from any other EU country, you need the EU Residence Document.To get this piece of paper, you need to have this form: OD1
    Depending on what is the reason why you are moving to Denmark, you all need to follow these instructions:
    Employee | Self-employed | Student | Sufficient Funds for self-supporting | Family Member
    Together with these, you’ll need a copy of your signed rental contract, a copy of your national ID/passport and a passport-size picture.Here you can find the closest Statsforvaltningen office, to deliver these papers.Remember that this document will arrive to you by post. You’ll need to have your name on the postbox, otherwise the office won’t deliver it to you.
  • Once you’ll have your EU Residence Document, you can apply for you CPR number, your personal number here in Denmark. It will consist of 10 digits, the first 6 as your birthdate, and the other 4 as a unique number assigned by state.
    With your CPR, you will be able to do a wide range of things in Denmark, such as open a bank account, buy a phone, borrow books from the library, etc.To apply for your CPR in Copenhagen, you’ll need to bring to the International House:

    • EU Residence Document/Residence Permit/Nordic CPR (if from SE, NO, FI or IS)
    • this Entry Form
    • a copy of your national ID/passport
    • a copy of your signed rental contract
    • a copy of your marriage certificate (if married)
    • a copy of your children’s birth certificate (if with children)
  • The third and most important document is your Skat Kort (Tax Card). In Copenhagen, you can apply for it at the International House, or you can fill the form online at skat.dk.
Share this Page